Wednesday 20 January 2010

I spent two and a half hours at a training session today. I was sceptical beforehand about doing so - the session was on something that I have done regularly for many years, and which I feel confident and comfortable about doing.  But (and I've found this before with similar sessions) by the end I had been led to reflect on the skills I bring to the task in hand, and I hope I will incorporate the results of that reflection in my future actions.  The 'trainer' (from HR) pitched the session at the right level for a mixed (although relatively senior) group within the university, but what was also good was the opportunity to thinbk collectively with others in the room about issues we all face.

Our previous Vice-Chancellor, Bob Boucher, was always very keen to ensure that even senior managers (perhaps especially senior managers!) undertook regular training and career development activities. It isn't so much the fact of learning something new, but being encouraged to reflect on one's existing practice that is so important.  That is also why I welcome peer observation of teaching.  Every year since the scheme was introduced I have welcomed a colleague to watch me take a class (sometimes a lecture, sometimes a seminar) and then to discuss what I was doing.  Sometimes the discussions have been over simple but important matters ("do you realise that no one can read your handwriting when you write summary points on the overhead projector after a class discussion"); on other occasions they have been around significant approaches such as the question of whether I use too many personal anecdotes to try to bring colour to my teaching on social geographical topics in Europe.  (The outcome of our joint reflections was that I didn't, and that the anecdotes, instead of seeming like name-dropping and reminiscing, help to humanise what are otherwise quite large-scale and weighty topics.)  Similarly I have always found it helpful to me (and hopefully to them too) to observe and talk through colleagues' teaching.  To me this is at the heart of what some educationalists would call 'being a reflective practitioner.' I'm all for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment