Sunday 17 January 2010

Sunday 17th January 2010 - Sunday 'rules' and the week ahead

As usual on a Sunday afternoon, I have spent the whole period since lunch reading through the papers for meetings that are forthcoming in the first part of the week, as well as commenting on documents that a variety of people have sent me for approval before they are operationalised.  It would be very easy, with the possibility of working from home via computer, to allow the whole weekend to be taken up by repeated bouts of e-mail checking. But I make it a rule that unless I have some specific university function to attend or a specific message comes through to my mobile (as happens occasionally from the media team relating to enquiries from the press for a quote for a Sunday paper) I don't open my e-mails or read any work papers on a Saturday or on a Sunday morning.  It's important to take some time to switch off.

Looking at my diary for the coming week shows a number of interesting items coming up - including a series of revision classes for my final year option students; a number of committee meetings to attend (mostly to chair) on topics such as university admissions policy, senior promotions, and the costing of research and teaching activities for our annual return to the funding council (HEFCE); a visit from my newly-appointed opposite number at the University of Nottingham; and a welcome session for students who have just arrived at Sheffield International College and who, if they are successful there, will be entering the university in the autumn.  All being well (and time permitting) this week's blog entries may deal with a number of these events.

No comments:

Post a Comment