Thursday 4 December 2014

Thursday 4th December 2014 - Replacement

I suppose it's time for me to start humming a very famous tune by Claude Francois and Jacques Revaux.  There are many other cliches that come to mind (incidentally, it appears to be impossible to add accents to letters in Blogger!).

I was helping another university with a senior appointment today and they had already seen it on the internet. Many others will do so over the next few days, or will see it in the paper, or will hear others talk about it.

Today has been the day when the public advertisement for my replacement as Deputy Vice-Chancellor has been published.  In some ways it's the beginning of the end - or certainly of the final chapter for me as a member of the university's executive board.  I'm not sure how I feel about that yet.  I've actually been too busy in the last few weeks really to think about it.  That has prevented me starting the process of looking back over what I have had a hand in achieving, but it has also meant that I haven't yet started to think about what I will miss and what I won't.  

So what is that tune by Claude Francois and Jacques Revaux?  Paul Anka changed the words from the original French so that in the English-speaking world it's no longer known as Comme d'Habitude - instead it's 'My Way'.

No comments:

Post a Comment