Friday 22 August 2014

Friday 22nd October 2014 - Literature searching by students

We make a lot about research-led teaching.  I've often argued, including in this blog, that there is also teaching-led research.  I have several examples in my own biography of students asking me questions that have led me into investigations to find the answers - and which have sometimes led to publications.

Today I have been involved in one other aspect of teaching that influences research.  I have just been revising the reading lists for the various alternative project titles that I set my students as a crucial part of the delivery of my final year module.  I don't regard these simply as assessment tasks but also as key learning elements.  What I ask students to do is to produce an essay on a particular theme, comparing the way it works out in two different European countries.  For most this is the first time they have ever had experience of 'comparative method' and its benefits and pitfalls.  So it is a learning task as well as a party of the assessment for the module.

Of course, I give students suggested readings for each of the themes.  But I also encourage them to exercise their powers of literature search to identify further materials that are of relevance for the particular comparison they choose to make.  And many students display great skill in identifying materials of which I was unaware.

So what I have been doing today is to go through last year's essays to identify possible new references to give to this year's students - once I have checked them out to satisfy myself that they are indeed worthwhile additions to make.  And those references are now added to my own stock of understanding and ideas for future research use.  It's another example of how teaching can act to facilitate future research.

No comments:

Post a Comment