Friday 17 January 2014

Friday 17th January 2014 - Difficult admissions decisions

Being PVC for Learning and Teaching isn't all about big strategies, meetings to reform university-wide regulations, and lobbying government on big policies.  There is also quite a lot of work to do at the level of individual students.  As I have blogged about in the past, I am the last stage of appeal within the university.  I am also the person who ultimately makes the decision as to whether we should go ahead and process applications for admission from those with significant criminal records. 

In the case of these individuals, who may actually be in prsion at the time of applying, I don't make the decision on my own.  We have a very good system for circulating, confidentially, some details about the case to seek the veiws of various parties within the University. These vary according to the nature of the case but might include accommodation services, the Computer Service, the University Health Service,  the student support services, the department concerned.  They all provide a view on risk, informed by probation officers' reports and other documentation, and it is finally up to me to weigh up these opinions.  I will sometimes agree that an application can be fully considered but that if the individual firmly accepts an offer from us we may then need to consider certain detailed steps to take to support the individual concerned on arrival.  Sometimes the view is that it is too early for an applicant to be considered, and that another year of 'good behaviour' is needed before we can countenance admission.

I don't think I err on the side of leniency.  But I am very sympathetic to applicants where there is evidence of having turned over a new leaf, and where there is support from those who have been professionally involved with them over whatever offence it was they committed.  After all, in my view education is one of the most transformative of experiences, and (I can't at the moment find a better word although it smacks of religiosity) it can provide 'redemption' and a chance to start again.  And I know at least one member of the University's graduate community for whom the path from crime to their current very responsible and 'established' career lay via study here. I am sure there are many more.

No comments:

Post a Comment