Monday 6 August 2012

Monday 6th August 2012 - Reading e-mails whenever and wherever

When I go on leave I try to restrain myself from reading e-mails until a day or two before the end of my holiday.  I then check to see if there is anything that needs dealing with before I get back into work, or anything that has changed the schedule of my diary for the first few days back.  A number of people in the university have my mobile phone number and if anything really eneds my attention they know they can ring me.  Generally no one does, although I remember one occasion when a colleague and I had a long phonecall about an urgent matter at the end of which she said "Could we meet up for a coffee later today to talk this over" only for me to inform her that I was standing just outside a department store in Regensburg, Bavaria.

The Vice-Chancellor went off on holiday at the weekend, and before he went and told him not to read his e-mails - and he promised to try not to. I am standing in for him.  Indeed, today I have no sign that he has opened his inbox, but I suspect that within a few days it will become clear that he has done so when osther people tell me about his views on various new matters - showing that he has been in touch.  

The problem is that it is so easy to get into e-mails - while waiting for a train, sitting in a bar waiting for the drinks to arrive, or surreptitiously behind a newspapers.  Today I have had four e-mails from people who I know are said to be on holiday.  None was urgent - all of them could have waited.  Two of them came from 'behind' bounceback messages. In other words the individuals concerned had put up a vacation message to say they were away and would not be responding to anything until a given future date - but they had then gone on reading their mail, and answering at least some of it.

Perhaps I'm very old-fashioned, but I think a holiday is a holiday.  Work and non-work time get intermingled during the rest of the year, but they shouldn't do so during a holiday.  I'm taking a week off at the beginning of September.  If anybody catches me reading and sending e-mails before late on the Thursday of that week I will have broken my resolution and failed to take my own advice!

No comments:

Post a Comment